Other Posts You May Like

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Farro the Super Supper SuperFood

Not being one to jump on the trendy "it" food craze, I wasn't  in a hurry to try Farro. I had heard all the usual reasons for not trying a new food,  it took a long time to cook, its chewy, it needed to be soaked,  and with with so many other delicious grains out there, I took my time.

I happened to have a bag of the little grains sitting my in my cabinet for a few months. After it literally hit me on the head one day when I opened my cabinet, I said to myself, "I'm going to make it." So I poured about a cup in a bowl of water and let is soak for a few hours (some recommendations say over night), to reduce the cooking time.

Farro being added to pot for dinner


I used the Bluebird Grains Organic Farro sold by Bazaar Spices and cooked it per the directions - one cup of Farro to five cups of water. Boiled  the Farro for about five minutes and stirred frequently to keep it from sticking to the pot. I also added a little salt and olive oil to the pot. I then lowered the heat and let it simmer for about an hour - it's the ultimate set it and forget it food.

Once it was cooked I added a little more 2 TBS olive oil, 2 TBS lemon juice, and a pinch of the usual herbs basil, thyme, Mexican oregano, salt, and pepper. My secret ingredient was 1 TBS of smoked Spanish paprika. It came out perfect. Soft a bit chewy and tender. What I found was that Farro is a little on the chewy side so it  pairs well with harder veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, corn kernels and the like. I happened to mix mine in with some corn kernels.

Now I see what folks were raving about. Farro is a versatile, superfood that's high in fiber, energy boosting complex carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. Try some with your next meal and become a convert just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment