Other Posts You May Like

Monday, January 6, 2014

Moms: Get More Milk with Fenugreek

When I had my twin boys in August 2013, I had no idea what it would take to provide them with the nourishment they needed to grow and be healthy. After talking with other moms, including my own, I got some answers. Breast milk is considered by many to be the most nutritious food for babies. With twins, I was going to need a little help to produce anything close to what they needed. So, I turned to an ancient tradition often recommended to lactating mothers by midwives throughout the world. Fenugreek.

Fenugreek seeds are cultivated in India, Pakistan, Afghanistan and other parts of the world. The seeds and leaves are often used to flavor Indian dishes, and they also helps lactating moms produce more milk. Fenugreek seeds are hard yellow pebbles. They are pretty inexpensive and you can't find them in many places throughout DC, other than Bazaar Spices. So. I tried it.


I added a few tablespoons of fenugreek seeds to a few cups of water.


I boiled the water and let the seeds steep for about 10 minutes.


I strained the seeds from the water, added a little lemon and honey and had my fenugreek tea to sip on throughout the next few days. The flavor of the tea itself is somewhat like maple syrup, or a cross between fennel and celery.  As a mom, I tend to opt for the herbal remedies when possible. Fenugreek can affect one's milk supply, but it varies from person to person. Personally, I found that the tea was beneficial. If you're a new mom or know someone who is, send them over to try to some fenugreek. It could make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment