Other Posts You May Like

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Lazy Sunday Sweet Sorghum Pudding

I was in the mood for something sweet.

I happened to have a few extra cups of Sweet Sorghum in my cabinet. What is the Sweet Sorghum Grain, you might ask?


If you're not familiar with Sorghum, you should know how much protein it has. It's also a good high fiber, gluten-free alternative to rice or couscous, and it's chewy like wheat berries.  Some have said it originated in Egypt over 4,000 years ago. It's a delicious grain that's pretty simple to make into either a sweet or savory dish. All you need is a little creativity.

I had a few hours on Sunday to experiment and I chose to make a Sweet Sorghum Pudding or Porridge. I wanted something that was relatively healthy, sweet, and could eat after dinner or for breakfast.

What made this so easy was that I had all of the ingredients in my cabinets and refrigerator.


Eight simple ingredients. Sweet Sorghum (cooked), Brown Sugar, Vanilla Extract, Cinnamon Korintije, Almond milk, Raisins, Butter, and Eggs.

I started out cooking the sweet sorghum grain. I took a medium saucepan, added one cup of the Sweet Sorghum Grain and 4 cups of water. I brought the mixture to a boil, then let it simmer on low, and covered it for about 40 minutes. I stirred the saucepan every so often.


Later, I took the cup of cooked sorghum and mixed all of the ingredients mentioned below together and put it in a baking dish.

Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon of my homemade vanilla extract
  •  1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon korintije
  • 1 cup of almond milk
  • 1/2 cup of raisins
  • 1 Tablespoon of Butter
  • 2 eggs. 

I added a little bit more cinnamon than the recipe required because I love cinnamon korintije. I mixed all of the ingredients together very well. 


I placed it in the oven for about an hour on 400 degrees. And voila. Sweet deliciousness.


This dish  turned out to be a very easy, simple, and delicious dessert. I'm sharing the recipe in hopes that you will try it yourself. Pick up the grain at Bazaar Spices in Union Market.


Happy Exploring, Experimenting, and Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment